Position: Assistant Counselor
Job Type: Full-time, seasonal
Total positions hired: 9 (4 males, 5 females)
Duration: 8 weeks; typically the 3rd weekend in June through the second weekend in August
An assistant counselor at Bethany Birches Camp works with the assigned counselor to ensure 4-8 children’s’ safety and fun quotient throughout a week of camp.
- Take time to know each camper and encourage campers.
- Aid counselor in cooking meals over the fire.
- Support counselor in following the daily schedule and participating in daily activities.
- Work with counselor to create a community among the cabin.
- Be aware of campers whereabouts, activities, and behavior
- Maintain a safe environment at all times
- Attend a weekly assistant counselor meeting, occasional weekend events, and staff enrichment
- Have Fun!
An assistant counselor should be seeking to learn about caring for campers, growing in faith and developing leadership skills. An assistant counselor should be able to relate well with other people, live in close community with other staff, and be responsive to the direction of leadership. An assistant counselor should have a passion for helping and serving those around them. This person should be able to articulate a faith founded on Jesus Christ both in words and actions and how faith is relevant today.
Minimum age: 17
+ $80/week additional if participating in staff matching
- Room and board for the summer
Many Asst. Counselors who participate in staff matching go home with $1500+
Staff Matching: We’ll provide you with a great sample letter to send out to friends, family, or your church. Any money that these people send in, we’ll match dollar for dollar. (We can only match for an additional $80/week)
Many Assistant Counselors return the next summer as a Head Counselor. We would provide an increase in pay during your second summer for the new position and for coming back! Many of our staff come back year after year, and we love to reward them for doing so! Camp is so much better when you start out knowing the camp and the campers.