Archive for March, 2020
Dear Bethany Birches Parents:
The staff are busy preparing for the 2020 summer camp season at Bethany Birches! We realize that these are uncertain times and there may not even be a 2020 summer camp season. However, we will continue preparing as though there will be summer camp. Feel confident in signing up for summer 2020 because of 1 and 2 below. 3 and 4 below are in hopes of giving your children something to look forward to while being home for what may be quite some time.
1. Summer cancellation without penalty. If you have signed up for summer camp, or plan to do so, you may cancel with no penalty. Cancel for any reason and we will keep every dollar on your account for one year. You could use this at the upcoming winter sessions or the following summer sessions, or for a friend, different child, etc. Also, if the current crisis causes a limited summer session, there won’t be as many spots. Sign up now with confidence. As the pace of life slows down day by day you could get your mind in a different space and reserve your child’s summer spot now: http://www.bethanybirches.org/summer-camps-dates/. If a session is canceled by us or regulators, same thing applies. All cancellations must be made 3 weeks before the start of your session.
2. Safety. Our leadership team and medical professionals are upgrading the current health and safety practices we have in place at camp and if summer camp is held this season, we will have robust check-in and quarantine procedures in case of outbreak of any kind, Covid-19 or otherwise.
3. Get the kids out of the house and off the screen. On the topic of slowing pace, Bethany Birches’ property remains open to you. While indoor spaces will be locked and only used for certain pre-arranged purposes, you are welcome to come and be in the outdoors. Connect with us to learn how you can be here safely (email, phone, social).
4. Virtual Engagement. While we are staying separate from each other to slow the pandemic in our country, we can still be together in spirit and via internet! Stay tuned for a few virtual camp experiences. Possibly things like biking with Tuna, crafts with Cheeks and Susie, camp songs with Meatball, Magic with Rupert, chill time with Beehive… the possibilities are endless! Have a request? Let us know. In the meantime, if you’re going to give your kiddos screen time, have them check out the BBC youtube channel.
You can help
- At this time, we believe the most effective thing we can do to stop the spread of this virus (thereby keeping medical facility traffic to a manageable rate) is to keep physical interaction limited (“social distancing”). Please learn and follow local and federal authorities’ recommendations.
- We are still looking for some of those great summer staff. For teens 15-17, consider Counselor in Training or Leader in Training. For teens 17 and older, consider assistant counseling. For college students and beyond, consider counseling, maintenance, kitchen, etc.
More to come as more becomes known. We are praying strength for you and peace that passes understanding.
Brandon “Tuna” Bergey, Executive Director
P.S. Apparently handwashing is a game-changer. I continue to challenge myself to do it for at least 20 seconds! https://www.acacamps.org/news-publications/blogs/camp-connection/handwashing-make-it-really-effective